Sunday, February 12, 2012

Vegan Oat-Filled Pancakes


Thanks to the author of the (never home) maker blog, this recipe has become one of my FAVORITE pancake recipes (and we lovingly call them "colon-blow pancakes" because they are fiber rich). Loaded with oats (and not much flour) these vegan pancakes give you pure love. I think the mashed banana makes them taste a little like banana bread--another favorite! I have added a little Leasa personality to the original recipe (added in red). Enjoy!
 

What you'll need . . .
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (unbleached) OR 1/4 c. wheat flour and 1/4 c.buckwheat flour
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) I only use 1/4 c. coconut and I blend it up with the oats
  • 1/3 cup flax meal
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats, processed into flour (just put 1/2 cup oats into your food processor and pulse until flour-eeeee)
  • 1 ripe banana (the riper, the better)
  • 1 cup soy milk OR rice, almond, or oat milk
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon agave
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats (you may not need this...the last time I made them I forgot to add the un-blended oats and they turned out not as dense and fluffier...your choice.)

Method . . .

  1. Combine all ingredients in the large bowl (fold in the whole rolled oats after everything is sufficiently mixed).
  2. Add more milk if necessary (the mixture shouldn't be TOO thick, but it will be relatively dense).
  3. Oil a pan (I used canola oil--I prefer safflower oil) and set over medium heat.
  4. Do your pancake thing. I found it was easier to make these guys pretty small (4 to 5 inches in diameter) . . . cook them briefly on the one side, then flip and FLATTEN (because they'll tend to fluff up), continue cooking until nicely browned and done the whole way through.
  5. Top with vegan butter and maple syrup. Walnuts. Fruit. Whatever else you enjoy.

No comments: